I’ve spent a good part of the last 3 years in a bit of a zombie state. Having small children leads to inevitable periods of sleep deprivation, unless you’re one of those lucky people to have a live in nanny and the kids at the other end of the house.
The thing I find a bit annoying is when people say “Well you should just sleep when the kids are sleeping”. I don’t know about others, but this is actually very difficult for me.
For one, if they sleep in the day, you usually have to carry on with other normal life tasks like eating, going to the toilet, or maybe even housework. For two, its not actually that easy to instantly fall asleep. I lie there, day or night, with racing thoughts about which child is going to wake soon, or the things I need to do, or just stupid things like what I said to so & so last week. And then there’s the phantom crying… any little noise that resembles the pitch of one of my babies cry, alerts me out of slumber right away. And sometimes, I even hear them crying when they aren’t. This is a great hinderance for restful nights.
I’ve discovered a few tricks that help me get to sleep quicker, they are no substitute for a full unbroken nights sleep, but I think it helps:
1. Himalayan Salt – A few granules under the tongue. Apparently its the minerals in the salt that help relax you.
2. Magnesium – A glass of magnesium drink will relax your muscles and nervous system.
3. Do more exercise. It’s really true that it helps you sleep better.
4. Actually counting sheep – I just count backwards from 100. Sometimes I get a bit distracted with other thoughts, but if you can focus, it usually works.
5. Having a bath or a shower generally does help. You feel refreshed after the day’s activities, and its nicer sleeping without old sweat all over you. (A common Brisbane state of being)
6. Maca! Having a cup of hot cacao and maca before bed is just delightful. Its soothing and delicious, and has loads of health benefits.
7. Hanky Panky… thats all I’ll say about that
8. Fresh clean lovely sheets!
9. A pretty far out suggestion, and not very common, NEVER have children! I couldn’t do this, and its too late anyway.
10. Sleep Rescue Remedy. Its great. Get it from the chemist.
Feel free to share your ways into the land of Nod, I think lots of people have this same trouble. And with that.. goodnight.